Feeling overwhelmed by colored pencils?
They're just pencils, right?
Pencils are supposed to be easy!
Sure, you've figured out how to fill-in-the-blanks and do some mediocre blending... but most online tutorials are nothing more than "I used this color and then I used that color..." which misses a lot of key information.
Conversely, there is great information on art websites but whoa, a lot of it sounds way too technical. You're supposed to be some sort of drawing genius with years of experience.
You want something more than the crafty stuff without having to go back to school!
You want to make art!
More than monkey-see, monkey-do coloring demonstrations
The goal is to help you understand your pencils from the basics up-- setting the foundation for a lifetime of creative self-expression.
- About your supplies and tools- what you really need, what's just fluffy extra stuff, and how to choose from the many brands available.
- How to hold your pencils- how to position your hand, arm, and body to make the most efficient and artistic stroke.
- How to begin your projects- eliminate the guesswork and the habit of recklessly charging in without a plan.
- How to fix a mistake- and how to move on if you can't fix the flaw.
- What order to apply colors- finding the method that's right for your brain.
- How to blend- and when not to blend
- How to shape and layer objects- understanding dimension, form, and space rather than worrying about lighting conditions
Work at your own pace
Jumpstart your Coloring!
Change the way you think about color...
Improve your process to improve your coloring!
Colored Pencil Plus is an online, twelve week introduction to the artistic approach to colored pencils.
Amy Shulke is a professional technical illustrator with a special passion for teaching beginners how to color, paint, and draw. She teaches students to be independently creative rather than leaving you dependent on further classes for inspiration. Amy designs her projects to help you practice and perfect versatile skills rather than demonstrating just enough technique to get you through a single project.
Colored Pencil Plus has an active course discussion board. Instructor feedback and student support are a key feature of this course. Every project photo you submit will be carefully considered and you'll receive advice specifically tailored to your unique needs. Ask for clarification or further information at any time!
Learn to color like an artist
BEGINNERS who are frustrated with their lack of growth using tutorials and how to videos
SELF TAUGHT colorers who feel like they've missed the big secret to amazing coloring
UNCONFIDENT COLORERS who still encounter problems with shading and depth
FRUSTRATED COLORERS who struggle when coloring independently
HABITUAL COLORERS who are stuck in a rut where every project looks the same
DREAMING COLORERS who want to create unique and expressive works of art
Beginners and Beyond
You do not have to be a beginner to benefit from Colored Pencil Plus.
This is art-based instruction and the approach is completely different than anything you've experienced in any coloring class.
Colored Pencil Plus is 26 lessons for $350. That's $14 per lesson.
Monthly payment option available
What you need to know...
Open Enrollment ~ Join anytime ~ Forever Access
- This is NOT your grandma's coloring class! Amy is extremely detail oriented and she shares fun facts in a humorous and unorthodox way. It's serious coloring with a light-hearted approach.
- This course will make you think. If you're not ready to challenge your coloring assumptions, this may not be the course for you.
- Lurkers lose! The whole point of this course is to improve your coloring, right? Improvement happens when you complete the projects AND submit them to the private Colored Pencil Plus Forums for evaluation and encouragement. Amy helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses. She will give you specific instructions on how to make improvements. If you don't turn your projects in, if you skip the feedback experience- you will miss the heart the class.
- This course will change the way you look at the world around you. Be prepared for odd looks and eye-rolls from your family when you stop mowing the lawn to stare at the color of the grass or when you pause a television show in order to look closer at the tree on the left. Sorry, being weird is part of being an artist!
Looking for information on what supplies you'll need throughout the course?
We put everything in one place for you!
Clink the link below for the colors, brands, and tools you'll need to start learning.